Michael Faulkner, author and editor
Talks and slide presentations
Since publication of The Blue Cabin I have given numerous readings, talks and slide presentations on island life, the writing process or marketing and promotion for authors: I feel that authors have to get out there and I recognise the importance of mutual support, as between publisher and author, when it comes to maintaining sales or indeed keeping a title in print. An unexpected bonus is that I find people come forward at these events with tales about their encounters with my father Brian Faulkner (Northern Ireland’s last prime minister) – or just their impressions of him – which I hugely enjoy.
I have given talks on various occasions at:-
- Bookshops, including Waterstones (Belfast, Dublin, Lisburn, Newry, Edinburgh and St.Andrews), Blackwell (Edinburgh) and Borders (Dundee); as well as independents like the wonderful No Alibis in Belfast
- Libraries, including Belfast, Downpatrick, Lisburn and Carrickfergus
- Private book groups
- The National Trust at Castleward
- Castle Espie Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre, Comber
- Women’s Institute branches in Armagh, Killinchy, Ards, Bangor and others
- Probus Groups in Belfast, Bangor, Groomsport, Helen’s Bay and others
- Rotary Clubs
- Yacht Clubs including East Down, Strangford and others, as well as various sailing gatherings
- Various charities, ladies’ and mothers’ groups, church groups, local clubs etc.
I have done signings and ‘meet the author’ sessions from time to time and have enjoyed events at Avoca, Arthur Street, Belfast; Picnic Cafe and Delicatessen, Killyleagh; The Old Post Office restaurant, Lisbane and others.
Book Festivals, conferences etc.
I have taken part, as a panellist or contributor, in book and other festivals and have enjoyed participating in Wigtown Book Festival, Aspects Festival of Literature, Wild Geese Festival of Literature and LitNet NI’s Conference of Literature. If you have any suggestions or requests, please email me using the link on the Contact page.